Albuquerque Indivisible is ending our Indivisible chapter. But the RESISTANCE continues!
This wasn’t an easy decision, but we have been faced with dropping interest. Over the last six months, the attendance at our monthly meetings has steadily declined until it’s pretty much just the club officers plus others who come mostly to hear the featured speaker. This has left us unable to fulfill our mission as an Indivisible chapter.
However, in less then one year, our chapter has accomplished much. Our notable successes are:
* Resist Trump Tuesdays, which started in January 2017, is still going every week. If you’d like to join, the group rallies every Tuesday at noon at 400 Gold Ave. (at intersection with 4th). Sally Davis got Resist Trump Tuesdays started. Active participants from Indivisible also include Lisa Christopherson and Patty Kuning. You can follow the events at ABQ RTT on Facebook.
* Jennifer Cornish, Teri Davidson and others met regularly with Congressional staffers to bring them views from Indivisible members on various issues.
* Flora Lucero led a series of forums for City Council candidates, with help from Sally, Teri and others. These forums helped the public get more information about races that get little attention. For this work, Flora received the Common Cause New Mexico 2017 Best in Citizen Advocate award.
* We co-sponsored the local release of “An Inconvenient Sequel: Truth to Power,” along with a climate change rally.
* In the fall, we worked to persuade City Council members to have Albuquerque support the goals of the Paris climate accord. The new mayor, Tim Keller, did sign on to this.
We are grateful for the calls, protests and other work that each of you have done to push back against the Trump administration. We are also grateful for getting to know you, as colleagues in a cause.
Though Albuquerque Indivisible will no longer meet as a group, the Facebook page will remain, to post related events. We encourage you to stay active in the resistance by joining one of the four active Indivisible groups remaining in the Albuquerque area. See the links and contact information below:
Indivisible Nob Hill
Rio Grande Indivisible
Stay in the RESISTANCE.
Bob Kmak, President
Maria Garre, Secretary
Maurreen Skowran, Board Member